Thursday, August 11, 2005

What a rough ride...

Losing 10 to one? Nah, it didn't matter. What was really superb was just getting out to the ball park and watching a game. I haven't done that in a while, and let me tell you... it was worth the trip up SH 121 to Frisco (even though that highway is one of the worst I've ever been on).

I missed baseball. It was one thing that my dad and I really enjoyed watching together. No matter how hot-headed we would both get, Dad could flip on ESPN and we could watch the game. When the 'stros came on, we knew that we could just give up the debate and we would both be okay. Baseball is a great distraction, or better yet, a diplomatic response to whatever issue dirties the air.

At the train station: I saw this young black woman with two young girls. Her daughters were absolutely beautiful and innocent. She cared for them well, and I could tell that they were the most important things in her life. She laughed with them as we all waited for the train.

"Your daughters are absolutely beautiful," I said to her.
"Thanks! They make their mother proud," she replied.

I had almost lost faith in the ability for some parents to be loving and responsible. She has restored whatever hope I had lost. There are good people in this town, and now I'm finding that they are much easier to recognize than I had once thought.

Dave and I talked about past relationships, about heartbreak and the people in our lives that have caused it. Our conversations have meaning in them, and he's showing me that there's a lot that I take for granted every day.

Open my eyes, but leave them closed long enough to fall fast asleep.

No comments: