Monday, January 04, 2010

A-list vacation

-I had a boot crisis a couple of days ago. I had lusted over this wonderfully plush and yet affordable pair of boots at DSW.com (by the way, I love DSW.com, and I'm not getting paid to say that. I also dig Zappos and PiperLime, but DSW has a spectacular rewards program AND good clearance prices!). The only problem with it is that someone else apparently had their eye on the same pair of boots, and they sold out before I could snag them.

I was, in a word, dejected.

Lucky for me, my wonderful mother-in-law dropped me a c-note for my b-day so everything was A-OK (see what I did there?).

I went to REI and got the boots I was trying to find a discount substitute for at DSW (why all the acronyms, retailers?). The thing I love about REI is that if you're a member, you get a dividend each year based on your purchases. That means that my boots were a flat $100 after our dividend.

Without further ado, check out the awesomeness.

No break-in required. Cute and comfortable. I love them! I was happy for all of like an hour.

-Then, I had a closet crisis.

I had worn all of the clothes in my closet to the point of exhaustion, and even more sad is that none of them really reflected my style. I wanted some cute and flirty outfits that weren't pencil skirts, or trousers, or suits I had worn so many times I was sick of them.

Also, now that I'm working, I needed some outfits that could transition easily between work and weekends.

I should also add that I'm not exactly rolling in the dough. I would be impossibly expensive for me to go to a retail or even discount store and refresh my wardrobe.

So, we went to the thrift store and got three skirts, a dress, and three sweaters for $27. It doesn't get better than that.

-Then, after washing up, we headed to the Avett Brothers show at the Granada. Seriously, it was amazing.

-Also amazing is The Saffron House. Now that's an Indian restaurant that easily won me over, and I'm pretty picky. I had the Shahi Paneer Makhana, and I have to tell you, the paneer was perfect. I've had some bad paneer before, but this was wonderfully creamy and firm. DEEEELicious. The mango ice cream was great, too, but the only disappointment was the roti. It was overcooked and very stiff. 


And today I went back to work, and I am going to shock the shit out of y'all: I missed going to work. A lot. 


Also, I don't give a crap what the CDC says, kombucha is amazing.


The End

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those boots - i want. also, there is nothing better than thrift stores. the last time i was in dallas there was a great and affordable one called buffalo exchange - is it still around / affordable / with cool vintage clothes?

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

Kombucha skeeves me out- I'm not sure why.

Also?

I'm happy to be back at work too. Something about getting out of the house and drinking my coffee at my desk just feels good to me.

Miss Dallas said...

Tex: Buffalo Exchange is still there. It's on Greenville Ave. It's OK, but a little overpriced. Dave and I love Ahab Bowen in Uptown, but I shop at Value World and Casa View Thrift stores in East Dallas. Lots of great loot there!

Maiden: Kombucha is awesome. Respect the SCOBY.

I am easily finding my groove again at work. I cannot say the same for some people in my line of work.