Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Easing the burden

I really enjoyed this column by Kelly Marages on how the rich and fabulous are coopting frugality to be hip, whereas "lunchpackers" like Kelly and me have always been "recessionistas" whether we knew we were or not.

So, if you've noticed, I'm looking for interesting ways to cut back on mass produced goods and manufactured items. It's partly to reduce my ecological footprint, but mostly to save money. Besides that, as Stephanie Pearl-McPhee can attest, it just feels darn clever to answer someone's compliment of your socks/sweater/jacket/(underwear?) with "Oh, you like that? I made it."

So, I plied my yarn last night. Took a little while to figure it out, but I did it. It was late, and I was ready to get it over with, but man, it was so rewarding to have bought a drop spindle on Saturday and have a spindle full of two-ply yarn on Monday evening. This got me thinking: What if I could spin yarn faster and make a more uniform yarn, and then ply it... What if I got one of these:


















Or, maybe, one of these:















Something to think about. Perhaps I should just work on getting to know my drop spindle a little better, first. It's not like I have any shortage of yarn right now for projects that need finishing.

4 comments:

Olivia said...

I'm going to call you Spinning Jo from now on.

MattJ said...

I'm like the anti-jo. I just buy stuff relentlessly. But to compensate I am happy about the decline of printed news, but then I have British newspapers to read which is invariably cover t cover opinionated drivel with 1% actual news.

Mighty impressed with your luddite ways!

Lemon Gloria said...

I liked that article as well.

I love that you want to buy a spinning wheel. Love it.

Brunhilda said...

Play around with your new toy more! Then if you get really into spinning, you'll know when it's time to upgrade. It'll be fun.