Monday, May 18, 2009

Can you feel the tingle?

I come from a family of hairdressers. This is similar to coming from a family of circus performers. The jist is that if you aren't in the biz, the least you can do is support the industry. Like, if you're in a circus family but you're afraid of heights, well, then you keep track of the finances or something else.

My job, as a non-hairdresser from a family of them, is to use lots of product and expensive shampoos and only get my hair cut by family members. Hard life, right?

Except, I broke rule no. 1 last week.

I'm not shampooing my hair anymore.

Now, that doesn't mean my mane doesn't get washed. It does, but by less conventional methods. Basically, I "wash" my hair with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a cup of warm water and "condition" it with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water.

And it works.

I've always had a problem with my scalp. if I used a shampoo or conditioner for too long my scalp would freak out and turn scaly. I tried everything, from shampoos infused with tea tree oil, rosemary and mint to the gunk that you try when you're desperate, like T/Gel. That shit is nasty.

But, it wasn't really my scalp that was the problem. The problem is the detergents in shampoo.

Now that I'm shampoo free, my scalp is happy. No flakey stuff. And if I don't "wash" my hair for a couple of days, it doesn't get gross and greasy.

The only downside is that, until you balance the amount of vinegar you use to rinse your hair, you can end up smelling like a salad straight out of the shower. Yum?

1 comment:

MattJ said...

Hmmmm, interesting what you say about the shampoo stuff, I have similar issues - the only stuff that I found work was a ridiculously expensive stuff called shampaste.

You'll have to send me your recipe!