Thursday, February 07, 2008

A moving memory

We've been talking -- actually, I've been talking, Dave's been listening -- about putting in a picture rail to hang our art in our dining area. I love hanging art, but I hate putting holes in my walls, especially walls that were ridiculously hard to paint!

Anyway, I'll probably be ordering those picture rails, soon, and some hooks. But, once I started checking out the hooks and the finishes available, I also started looking at the other hardware they sold. Such ornate door latches and hinges. Beautiful lock-sets, mail slots, knobs and trim. Even hand-antiqued vent grates! Most of these touches would look awesome on a Victorian or Craftsman-type home. I started thinking about how much I missed our old neighborhood. Yes, we were renting a 1905 Craftsman, but if I could've afforded it, I would have bought that house and renovated it. I would have poured my soul into that house. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

I do think it's something that Dave and I would enjoy doing, but we've barely lived in this house, which is only 50 years old. I really want to make our house feel like it did when it was a home to its first family. I want to refinish the crank-case windows and repaint the outside to restore it's character. But just for a while, it's nice to imagine putting your sweat and love into a gorgeous Victorian, and it loving you right back.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Ooh, ooh, getting carried away with door handles and light fixtures and all those exciting accessories. Dangerous, Jo. I can spend hours just choosing a door hook, so God knows what I'd be like if I had to outfit a house...

Is a Craftsman the same as Arts and Crafts? Cos I like those much!

Miss Dallas said...

Craftsman is very similar to arts and crafts, though arts and crafts is more of a movement, whereas Craftsman is a style of building originating from a single bungalow style format.

Lots of the houses in East Dallas' historic neighborhoods are Craftsman style homes.