Thursday, February 02, 2006

Our pres. is a cyclist, so why is he backpedaling?

Upset doesn't even begin to explain how I feel, but I know that my suspicions of President Bush's State of the Union address were justified.

The one part of his agenda-setting speech that really made me blush with what I think was pride was his statement that America was going to replace "more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025." It also made me beam when Bush promised to "move beyond a petroleum-based economy and make our dependence on Middle Eastern oil a thing of the past." And I'm sure everyone knows about my passion for hybrids and alternative fuels, so you all can figure how this line made me feel:

"We will increase our research in better batteries for hybrid and electric cars, and in pollution-free cars that run on hydrogen. We'll also fund additional research in cutting-edge methods of producing ethanol, not just from corn, but from wood chips and stalks, or switch grass. Our goal is to make this new kind of ethanol practical and competitive within six years."

Poetry.

But, then I find out that it was all a feel-good charade. His economic secretaries said, according to KnightRidder's Washington Bureau, that the president doesn't really mean it. Well, literally, at least.

WHAT?

So, he didn't mean part of his most important agenda-setting adresses to the American people? So, he lied? Or are you saying that so you don't have to live up to promises that your boss made? Why? WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE JUST FOLLOW THROUGH ON SOMETHING THAT YOU KNOW IS GOOD FOR THE PEOPLE!?

TAKE YOUR DAMN MEDICINE.

Enough with the backpedaling, Mr. President. We're actually counting on you to live up to your promises this time. I know you're a lame duck, but can you give us something more than the seeds of democracy being strewn across the Middle East? Can you give us more than our crushing deficit? We need something to put our faith back in you, and the fear of human-animal hybrids isn't doing it for me.

No comments: