Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lofty goals

Ah, resolve ... Once my only conception of "resolve" was running up and down the household cleaner aisle of HEB looking for something to fix the coffee stain I'd put on the upholstery of my mother's car after borrowing it for a week while in college. It was my savior in a bright read spray bottle.

Early this year I resolved to do a lot of things. I resolved to get better at my inversions. I resolved to lose some of the baggage on my body and keep it off. I resolved to improve my endurance and run a 5k in November. I resolved to dedicate more time to my hobbies (knitting). I also resolved to try to be more balanced.

Do you see a common theme here? Anyone that practices yoga knows that I'm just shooting to live a more yogic life, one that is active and peacefull, one that is more flexible and constant and one that brings wholeness inside and out.

I guess in all of my stressing I'm ignoring the journey; I'm focusing on what I need to be instead of what I need to do. That all has to stop. I've noticed I've been focusing a lot on the negative aspects of who I am, hiding behind self-deprecating humor and general misanthropy. Nothing gets accomplished that way.

So, I know I'll probably never get to nirvana in this life, but here's hoping I can focus on the good parts enough to be at least a little more whole, a little more accepting and a little more at peace. Maybe a little more resolute ...

2 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

It can be hard to remember to focus on the journey. My success in that arena tends to wax and wane as well. But, when I'm more fully in the present I tend to be much more comfortable and happy. Here's to the journey!

Olivia said...

It's so hard to focus on the journey because we've become so goal-oriented, bottom-line, final outcome...forgetting the enrichment to gain along the way.