Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Three months, eight pounds

When I was met with the prospect of having my days completely open and to myself for a while, otherwise known as unemployment, I figured that keeping my old routine would keep me from going stir crazy. Also, it would keep me on track. Also, it would keep my waistline on track.

Old routine:

Go to work at 9 a.m. or so, answer phones and edit and blog until 5:30 some days, but usually until about 6 p.m. Head to the gym for cardio and yoga on Monday through Thursday. Friday I'd bust a move home to get liquored up ASAP. Cook dinner, shower, bed.

New routine:

Wake up at 9 a.m. or so, check e-mail, feed chickens, water plants, have coffee and maybe breakfast but usually juice because, hey, who wants to dirty more dishes? Read blogs, dick around on facebook and twitter. Once completely bored and desperate for amusement, check job listings. Apply when necessary. Eat lunch, watch some TV and wait for the husband to come home. Do chores, knit.

Notice how the gym is absent from the new routine?

I didn't either, at first. Now that all of my pants fit a little tight, I'm beginning to take stock.

So, I figured I'd start out slow, maybe do a few exercise videos at home in between meals and get back to doing my regular cardio/yoga routine. I considered going on walks during the day here, but since it's hotter than the surface of the sun in Dallas right now, I think I'll pass. The high is 104F today with a heat index of 115F. Um. Screw that.

Also, I suppose I need to lay off the ice cream for a while. I've been using Chocolate Almond Fudge as my preferred anti-depressant lately. I think I'm better off switching to post-workout endorphins.

3 comments:

The Madien Metallurgist said...

When the economy tanked I was sortunate to keep my job- but lost a lot of pay b/c we have a bonus heavy pay structure. Yoga class was hte first thing to go, and even though Josh and I always say we're going to work out at home I'm always too tired/hungry/busy/whatever for that to actually happen.

Miss Dallas said...

I am so guilty of this, too. What makes it worse is that I have a whole room for my practice space.

Kyla Roma said...

Oh we're living parallel lives. I like it. I'm into the "FREAK OUT!" phase of being unemployed but I'm thinking that next week will involve more settling into the routine. Hope the chickens are on their best behaviour for you!